// FERRYHILL ROMAN SOLDIER ? CENTURIAN ?

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: FERRYHILL ROMAN SOLDIER ? CENTURIAN ?  (Read 23854 times)

Offline dnixon

• Kidda
Re: FERRYHILL ROMAN SOLDIER ? CENTURIAN ?
« Reply #23 from previous page: Jul 17, 2008, 09:49 »
Fair enough, however, when particular people talk about other people in a certain way, they don't think about "what will his family think when they read comments like this".

It is very demeeningful and hurtful, especially to those these comments affect.  I thnk it is a form of informal bullying.

Like I said, would these same people make fun of people who dress a certain way, or reads historical information, or is passionate about particular things....

So, I personally feel that unless this discussion is blocked or removed by the forum administrator(s), I will consult legal advise to have it removed.  I also want this forum to provide me and my grandfather an apology.

Mr D Nixon

Advertise YOUR business

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #24 on: Jul 17, 2008, 09:58 »
Fair enough, however, when particular people talk about other people in a certain way, they don't think about "what will his family think when they read comments like this".

It is very demeeningful and hurtful, especially to those these comments affect.  I thnk it is a form of informal bullying.

Like I said, would these same people make fun of people who dress a certain way, or reads historical information, or is passionate about particular things....

So, I personally feel that unless this discussion is blocked or removed by the forum administrator(s), I will consult legal advise to have it removed.  I also want this forum to provide me and my grandfather an apology.

Mr D Nixon

With respect, I think that you are over-reacting a bit. I'd already removed the reference to his name further up the thread, but you re-revealed his identity yourself in your previous post, otherwise he would still be anonymous.  :wink:

Offline dnixon

• Kidda
« Reply #25 on: Jul 17, 2008, 10:13 »
Please, please can you block this discussion.  Please.

Mr D Nixon

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #26 on: Jul 17, 2008, 10:36 »
Other than posting his name, you've posted links to a website featuring him and also pictures of him. That was ok for your publicity purposes/traffic presumably? You've also posted lots of other stuff on here in the past, stuff which I think valuable and I've also allowed you to promote other projects you've been involved in here. Now you threaten me with legal action because someone has taken the mickey out of your eccentric grandad? Hmmm.  :?

Offline dnixon

• Kidda
« Reply #27 on: Jul 17, 2008, 10:45 »
Okay, I retract my statement about legal action.  I am very grateful for the NE forum to allow links etc to my Ferryhill website.  I shouldn't really care about what other people think.

Please understand though, I didn't feel comfortable reading these comments.

To ensure that my grandfather retains his dignity, I shall be removing the photos and web page featuring him.

Sorry for the overreaction.

Mr D Nixon

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #28 on: Jul 17, 2008, 10:53 »
I personally think it's great that he has the balls to do what he does, but he probably already has pretty thick skin when people take the mick out of him for doing it. I think he'd probably say that people's opinions of him don't really matter, as he still does his thing anyway. You're welcome to leave the photos up, but you can't have it both ways. If you raise awareness of something then get negative comments (even those made in humour) then you can't really blame others for it. Keep posting, and realise when people are only pulling your leg.

ferryhill lass

« Reply #29 on: Jul 18, 2008, 14:35 »
My husband- who is not "The Ferryhill Roman"- happens to dress in Roman costume on a regular basis- going into schools,  museums and even shopping centres up and down the country doing demonstrations of historical pottery making techniques...   He doesn't give a flying fig what anyone thinks of this- as he knows a certain amount of amusement goes with the territory- (and is what attracts an audience).  It doesn't in any way undermine his dignity and he's well aware that most people lack the confidence to do something so ridiculous for a living!!

Laughter is good! :lol:

But there is the question of context... He doesn't choose to dress like this at home- or anywhere when he isn't being paid to do so......

ferryhill lass

« Reply #30 on: Jul 18, 2008, 20:03 »
...feel free to be amused.... :lol:

www.pottedhistory.co.uk

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
« Reply #31 on: Sep 15, 2012, 14:38 »
I cannot belive its been four years since my last sighting of the Centurian

Well it was a nice homing coming up the A167  to be wavied home by the flash of steel from his wielding sword

BRILLIANT   

and the sun is shining too

Offline tilerman

• Dozzle
« Reply #32 on: Sep 16, 2012, 07:14 »
First time I've seen this thread, hope I come across him one day
sedgefieldblues.com

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
« Reply #33 on: Sep 16, 2012, 11:51 »
Maybe I shouldnt have re-added to original topic post 
as looking at the backwash of replies comments posts added after my first post I think it caused some issue

I dont think it was my original post ...  as it was or has been deleted

If we dont have any news to share or observations or questions to ask  whats the point of a forum ?

I do know that some of my topics have been deleted .. with no response from the moderator

Hence why I lost interest in this forum  and just drop in now and again

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #34 on: Sep 16, 2012, 12:17 »
Maybe I shouldnt have re-added to original topic post 
as looking at the backwash of replies comments posts added after my first post I think it caused some issue

I dont think it was my original post ...  as it was or has been deleted

If we dont have any news to share or observations or questions to ask  whats the point of a forum ?

I do know that some of my topics have been deleted .. with no response from the moderator

Hence why I lost interest in this forum  and just drop in now and again

Well if you will go picking fights ....   :lol:

Seriously, I can only find 3 posts by you in the deleted posts list here, and all of them were because the threads they were featured in had been removed rather than any objection to what you yourself typed. Only one of them was in the last year, the previous two were more than 4 years ago.

Offline Legend

• Dozzle
« Reply #35 on: Jul 17, 2014, 09:30 »
Spotted him this morning, walking down Darlington Road in Ferryhill at about 10 past 8. Was in his summer kit.  :clap:
The North East Forum

Forums for North East England and County Durham. Chat with other Mackems, Mags and Smoggies. Sport and other stuff for lads 'n' lasses.

Tags: