// Bishop Auckland Food Festival 2012 bring ya wellies

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: Bishop Auckland Food Festival 2012 bring ya wellies  (Read 5369 times)

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
Went through Bishop early this morning,  very busy in Market place in preparation for the annual food event

I would imagine it would be a bit soggy in the castle  with all the weeks rain
Still on my return trip ,  Bishop Auckland tech  park and ride car park was very busy !

Is it any good ?
just looked like a trip down yest-er year how things used to look  in the market

What I cannot understand that people run businesses from and own market stalls,  so why is there a poor show on a weekly basis at Bishop ?
Are the rates too high ?
How much are the town council charging rent for this event ?

Are traders marking up there price to pay for high price ground rent ?
Are Maccy D's going to see a drop in takings this weekend when there is proper grub on the menu ?

Sadly it looked like a poor mans Catterick market
£2 million spent on a market place refurbishment  and stalls using car parking bays ?

Hope all those attended  ate well

Advertise YOUR business

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
Re: Bishop Auckland Food Festival 2012 bring ya wellies
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2012, 16:15 »
We got there just as the tropical downpours started. The place was an absolute swamp. Couldn't really get near any of the stalls because the water was just running off the roofs in torrents, obscuring what was being sold. We gave up and came out early, cold and sodden wet.  :?

Offline flooky

• Gadgie
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2012, 17:32 »
This was the 3rd year running we have been there, luckily we were inside the craft marquee while the heavy downpour came down and had already been around some of the stalls before that.

Compared to the previous 2 years, the weather did let it down a bit but I think also some of the crowd control seemed to spoil things this year a bit too.

This year you had to queue up to go into the main marquee and the craft one and also previous years they had stalls from coming in the first gates to the second one, this year they seem to have been put in the market square outside Weatherspoons.

Before going into the craft stalls we had pidgeon and pea pie for me and rabbit pie for SWMBO and an orange and chocolate crepe for afters all washed down by a pint of Castle Dark and half of Castle Light from the Surtees Bar stall.

Alan, from the Surtees, then must have been feeling left out of the crowds getting wet and him not so emptied the contents of the roof of his gazebo over himself and then on discovering he had not got all of it, moved around it a bit and emptied the rest of it over himself, that gave us a bit of a laugh.  :D

We did not go into the main marquee this year, because of the queue and weather, but did not think we had missed anything much until we realised, after getting home, there had been whisky tasting in that marquee.  :(

Offline woodstock

• Currack
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2012, 11:22 »
We got there just as the tropical downpours started. The place was an absolute swamp. Couldn't really get near any of the stalls because the water was just running off the roofs in torrents, obscuring what was being sold. We gave up and came out early, cold and sodden wet.  :?

that's a great shame about the weather... I've been there before a few years ago and enjoyed it...

in fact I like going to the farmers markets etc - tho sometimes I've had mixed experiences with them, like getting short changed in the stanhope one (5 quid), and buying some out of date sausages from the bowes museum xmas market the other year...

but I also bought some veal which was wodnerful :)

Tags: