// alex's bets

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: alex's bets  (Read 52382 times)

Phil

Re: Quinny's New Manager
« Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 2006, 00:01 »
No fights being picked by me, I'm not the one who threw in the indicative comment, I'm not the one who implied sides in a simple exchange of rhetoric. Perhaps I should have used 'one' instead of 'you' ... my apologies, but  the statement remains true: the onus is always on the claimant to supply evidence. I never mentioned proof.

Advertise YOUR business

Offline Legend

• Dozzle
« Reply #12 on: Aug 25, 2006, 07:43 »
That was an admin request. It is not advisable to defy admin requests.  :wink:
The North East Forum

Forums for North East England and County Durham. Chat with other Mackems, Mags and Smoggies. Sport and other stuff for lads 'n' lasses.

Offline alexander

• Blatherskite!
  • The Dalai Viking has spoken
« Reply #13 on: Aug 25, 2006, 09:27 »
No fights being picked by me, I'm not the one who threw in the indicative comment, I'm not the one who implied sides in a simple exchange of rhetoric. Perhaps I should have used 'one' instead of 'you' ... my apologies, but? the statement remains true: the onus is always on the claimant to supply evidence. I never mentioned proof.

No, you mentioned "evidence". Anyway, I'm not bored enough to bother getting into this with you this early in the day. I've put up my bet for this week-end already, have a look if you like and tell me what you think of my choices instead of having a go at me, that would be nice. I don't post my bets on here to look stupid or to show off or get into silly arguments. When I post them I do so to try and get a decent discussion going on betting and footie betting in particular. I don't win everytime, I've said that already, but with you I can't win at all it seems. If you didn't come across this bitter we could prob enjoy a decent discussion on the topic.
You're born alone, you die alone.  Anything in between is make believe.

Phil

alex's bets
« Reply #14 on: Aug 25, 2006, 16:22 »
Couple of things. I'm not bitter and I'm not having a go at you, alex. I would have made the same observation if anyone had made the claim you did. I stand by that: a steady 50+% return on gambling seems very unlikely to me. And I suggested quantifying the posted bet so we can test its prowess. Hey, I might be surprised, but at least checking the results against the predictions means it's no longer anecdotal. Best of luck to you mate, I truly hope you win.

And I think sharing my viewpoint satisfies the intention to get some banter going about betting.

That was an admin request. It is not advisable to defy admin requests.? :wink:

If the administration has any problems with my posts I'm sure a note to me privately would be forthcoming. Deus doesn't strike me as the kind to get bent out of shape about a difference of opinion. What's the point of a discussion board if not to discuss things?? :) I appreciate the heads-up though, STK, ta.

I notice my Karma has been shredded. Bummer.

Offline Legend

• Dozzle
Re: alex's bets
« Reply #15 on: Aug 25, 2006, 16:29 »
Don't think the content of the post was a problem, rather the tone in which it was made.
The North East Forum

Forums for North East England and County Durham. Chat with other Mackems, Mags and Smoggies. Sport and other stuff for lads 'n' lasses.

Offline alexander

• Blatherskite!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 25, 2006, 17:00 »
Yes, I thought the tone was a bit odd as well, like.

Just out of interest, Phil, are you a betting man yourself ? If so then I fail to grasp how you can't see that it's more than doable to bet the way I do and have done for years. Do me a favour and have a look at the figures, please:

On average a tenner a bet ten times a month = ?100, right ? I very rarely do a five game bet below the odds of ten times the money back but I don't always bet a tenner, sometimes just a fiver. This means that I only need to win one or two of the ten bets each months and lose the remaining eight-nine bets to break even. As it happens I usually succeed in winning at least two of the ten bets each month. That means I lose about ?80 worth of failed bets but winning 'round ?150-200 on the two bets I do end up winning. I don't get a 50-100% return on every single bet, that would, as you so "delicately" put it, be hard to beleive, sure, but overall after a full month that just happens to be the usual outcome of the bets combined. When you look at it that way, which, may I add, is the correct way of looking at it, then it's only hard to beleive if you don't understand how betting actually works. Or, dare I say it, is against betting altogether.

Anyhoo, I did read your posts as being somewhat negative and yes I did and still do beleive you had a go at me, you say you didn't, fair enough, but that's how it felt. Oh, and just for the record, and I know you didn't say this directly but I'm not the one messing with your karma either. Other members must have read your posts the same way as I did is all I can say.

Phil

« Reply #17 on: Aug 25, 2006, 17:13 »
I'll use the first rule of being in a hole.

Offline alexander

• Blatherskite!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 01, 2006, 19:32 »
Sorry, bit late with the bet this week-end, been a mad few days here, but since it's currently one all in the first game of the five I've picked I'll post my bet anyway as anything is still up for graps.

*? Straight home win for my country against Portugal tonight? (odds 2.35)? Correct 4-2
*? Straight home win for Darlo against Torquay also being played tonight? (odds 1.65)? Wrong 1-1
*? Straight home win for Forest against Chesterfield being played Saturday? (odds 1.45)? Correct 4-0
*? England to beat Andorra by three clear goals or more? (also Saturday, odds 1.20)? Correct 5-0
*? and a straight home win for Carlisle against Cheltenham? (Sunday, odds 1.75)? Correct 2-0

As usual I need all five to be correct and if spot on it's 11.8 times the tenner back.

And sorry for any spelling errors, am on my second bottle of white here while watching the Norseman try and get a win over the team that finished fourth in the World Cup heehee? :lol:

Offline alexander

• Blatherskite!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 05, 2006, 15:25 »
Well, Darlo let me down so I didn't get all five spot on but my country beat Portugal four-two (our first ever win against them) with Thomas S?rensen saving a Ronaldo penalty, too, which was a right laugh. Anyhoo, most of the week-end bets aren't yet up here as the new odds are updated Tuesdays and Fridays but I've put together a lil' teaser for the EURO Qualifiers and friendlies in midweek:

*? Brazil to beat Wales by two clear goals or more tonight? (odds 1.85)? Correct 2-0
*? Straight away win for Denmark against Iceland tomorrow (we've never lost to our former colony in eighteen games thus far and tomorrow will hopefully continue that run)? (odds 1.60)? Correct 0-2
*? Spain to beat Northern Ireland away by two clear goals or more? (odds 1.60)? Wrong 3-2
*? Straight home win for Norway against Moldova? (odds 1.18)? Correct 2-0
*? and Lithuania v Scotland to draw? (odds 3.00)? Wrong 1-2

Combined odds on all five is nicely 16.76 times the tenner back.

Offline alexander

• Blatherskite!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 08, 2006, 22:09 »
My bet for this week-end, all games being played Saturday:

*? Straight home win for Arsenal against the Boro? (odds 1.20)? Wrong 1-1
*? Home win for Chelsea by two clear goals or more against Charlton Athl.? (odds 1.55)? Wrong 2-1
*? Sheff Utd v Blackburn Rovers to draw? (odds 3.00)? Correct 0-0
*? Straight home win for Brum against Hull? (odds 1.35)? Correct 2-1
*? and a straight away win for the Lads against Derby Co.? (odds 2.55)? Correct 1-2

As usual I need all five games to go my way and if they do then the bet is 19.2 times the tenner back.

Offline alexander

• Blatherskite!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 12, 2006, 19:10 »
Got a wee bet on some of tonight's games:

*? Straight home win for Darlo against Bury? (odds 1.55)? Correct 1-0
*? Home win for Chelsea against Werder Bremen by two clear goals or more? (odds 2.10)? Correct 2-0
*? Home win for Barcelona against Levski Sofia by two clear goals or more? (odds 1.40)? Correct 5-0
*? Olympiakos v Valencia to draw? (odds 2.95)? Wrong 2-4 (was 2-2 with five mins to go...)
*? and a straight home win for Forest against Oldham? (odds 1.35)? Wrong 0-2?(first loss of the season for Forest and Oldham's first win at Forest since September 1933 !? :shock:...)

Combined odds if all five correct is 18.14 times the tenner back.

Offline Legend

• Dozzle
« Reply #22 on: Sep 13, 2006, 08:01 »
You were going really well there until the last two scuppered it. How many people would have picked Oldham to win at Forest? Not many, but that's the way it goes.
The North East Forum

Offline alexander

• Blatherskite!
« Reply #23 from previous page: Sep 13, 2006, 08:17 »
Yea, the CL game I had wrong I felt had draw written all over it and like you say, pumpkin, I was doing alright right till five mins from the end. Forest was an odd result and if I was to pick the games again I most likely would have picked the same five, I don't understand how Oldham managed a win at theirs, that truly is mind boggling to me. Mind, Darlo left it very late as well, would've been somewhat annoying if I had them wrong two games in a row... I'll have a fresh bet on a handful of games tonight as well but I haven't yet had a closer look at the list so I'll have to get back with that later today. It's all just a bit of fun anyway? 8)

If I'd gone for a 2/5 or 3/5 system instead of going for all five to be correct I would've had a win on my last four bets... I might just do both tonight for a larf.

Tags: football betting