// Family History!

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: Family History!  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Millennia

• Kidda
Family History!
« on: Oct 20, 2006, 21:46 »
Hiya, does anyone do Family History? We went to Durham Record Office on Thursday to find my hubby's Great Grandparents. We have searched and searched for ages, but to no avail. We soon found out why. My hubby's grandfather Thomas, was given his grandmothers maiden name and not his fathers surname. So, instead of being called Thomas Summerson, he was called Thomas Sanderson. Very strange, seeing that everyone else went by Summerson. ( They were the Colliery owners from Barnard Castle.) The name Sanderson was kept and handed down to today.  Has anyone else come across this situation? Or does anyone have any ideas as to WHY they have done this? Would love to hear what you think. We have some ideas of our own like.  :wink: :wink: :roll: Stay Happy all, Millennia  :D

Advertise YOUR business

Offline cs

• Babba
Re: Family History!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2006, 23:59 »
hi millennia 8)
i have had a few probs myself as ive just started my tree.
it seems mistakes are made unfortunatety .
you need to go to the library,where you can access data for free ,but yiu will need to be armed with as many details as possible ---eg--birth dates -death dates-like me you may find the name u know them by might not b the name they are registered in ..eg,,,they may also be reg as their second name first ..try looking on here to see if it helps u understand a little b4u go.
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/
click on this link.. ps ,u can go on this at library 4 free ,,no need to sign up.just look on search then census 4 england.

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2006, 13:35 »
Hiya, does anyone do Family History? We went to Durham Record Office on Thursday to find my hubby's Great Grandparents. We have searched and searched for ages, but to no avail. We soon found out why. My hubby's grandfather Thomas, was given his grandmothers maiden name and not his fathers surname. So, instead of being called Thomas Summerson, he was called Thomas Sanderson. Very strange, seeing that everyone else went by Summerson. ( They were the Colliery owners from Barnard Castle.) The name Sanderson was kept and handed down to today.  Has anyone else come across this situation? Or does anyone have any ideas as to WHY they have done this? Would love to hear what you think. We have some ideas of our own like.  :wink: :wink: :roll: Stay Happy all, Millennia  :D

Most of the unusual name changes and surname swaps and concealment was down to one cause, which may shock some, but was far more rife than imagined in those days, and that reason was illegitimacy.

Offline gerryfitz

• Gadgie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2006, 20:03 »
Millenia,

Another possibility is that the names got changed in translation.

Many folk in those days could neither read nor write and the person entering records, whether in Parish Records or on census, had to write down what they heard and spell it they way they heard it.

Often if the person giving the information had a strong accent the names got changed by gradual process.  Sanderson to Summerson and vice versa is not a great shift?

My own example is my gt gt grandmother was called McCaslin at birth and by two generations to name had changed to Cushlow, simply because of Irish accents and inability to read and write.
Gerry

Offline Frampers

• Babba
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2014, 18:18 »
Millenia, Interesting to read your original post. I have just obtained Thomas's Rolls Royce handbook dating back to 1923. You are welcome to contact me

Tags: