// Family name

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: Family name  (Read 4403 times)

Offline Millennia

• Kidda
Family name
« on: Oct 28, 2006, 01:24 »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hiya,  We went to Durham Record Office on Thursday to find my hubby's Great Grandparents. We have searched and searched for ages, but to no avail. We soon found out why. My hubby's grandfather Thomas, was given his grandmothers maiden name and not his fathers surname. So, instead of being called Thomas Summerson, he was called Thomas Sanderson. Very strange, seeing that everyone else in the family went by Summerson. ( They were Colliery owners from Barnard Castle.) The name Sanderson was kept and handed down to today.  Has anyone else come across this situation? Or does anyone have any ideas as to WHY they have done this? Would love to hear what you think. We have some ideas of our own like.     Stay Happy all, Millennia    :D

Advertise YOUR business

debby

Re: Family name
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2007, 16:26 »
yeah my bro has a family name passed down...he has a first name and 2 middle names (one of them was a surname) and then his surname. these names in this order have been passed down since 1890s!

Offline Lancelot

• Currack
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2007, 11:20 »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 My hubby's grandfather Thomas, was given his grandmothers maiden name and not his fathers surname.

Were they married when the son was born?
Lancelot

Offline Victoria Sponge

• Currack
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2007, 11:45 »
My hubby's grandfather Thomas, was given his grandmothers maiden name and not his fathers surname. So, instead of being called Thomas Summerson, he was called Thomas Sanderson. Very strange, seeing that everyone else in the family went by Summerson. ( They were Colliery owners from Barnard Castle.) The name Sanderson was kept and handed down to today.  Has anyone else come across this situation? Or does anyone have any ideas as to WHY they have done this?

Were there any other Male child born to ensure the continuation of the family name of Sanderson?
If not then perhaps by naming their child Sanderson instead of Summerson meant that the family name continued into the next generation? Especially if the family money from the Colliery went with the family name!
cat's are cool, dogs drool

Offline Millennia

• Kidda
« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2007, 23:38 »
Hiya Lancelot and Cruela, sorry I haven't got back to you before now. Yes, they were married, that's what confuses us. But my hubby came up with an idea. Seeing as how his grandad was the ONLY male named Sanderson. And they had a young cook. lol. nod, nod, wink, wink, Yes there was other males but in the name of Summerson. That's where the money went lol. We have not yet found out WHY his name was different. Thanks for your input though. Take care keep smiling and God Bless, Sandie

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2007, 00:43 »
I think you need to consider nothing more than illegitamacy. Was Thomas Sanderson the first child?

Offline Millennia

• Kidda
« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2007, 09:44 »
Nope! he was the 6th child and ONLY one put in the Sanderson name.  :shock: The maiden name of his grandmother. Thanks, Sandie

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2007, 09:59 »
Is it possible that he was brought up by his grandparents?  Were they non-conformists? Have you got a copy of his birth certificate? Is the father named? Could he be an adopted cousin? Was he baptised Sanderson? What dates are we talking about? Grandmother's name?

Offline gerryfitz

• Gadgie
« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2007, 12:30 »
The names are so similar there is a fair chance this is a spelling mistake where the Registrar has picked up the pronunciation incorrectly or the informant has just made a mistake?
Gerry

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2007, 12:51 »
Possible also, but if a mistake had been made in registration the family would probably just resort to the normal Summerson family name for the kid at census time. There must have been a deliberate reason for calling him after his grandmother. Non-conformists regularly did it where children had been born and their parents had only had a Chapel wedding, but as this is the 6th child, that's unlikely.

A baptism or birth certificate is essential to prove he was baptised under that name, and to identify the father (or not). Only then will you be able to postulate about family relationships and naming conventions.

Do you have these records, or are you just looking at census records at the moment? I would also trace the other descendents/siblings of his grandmother to see if any cousins 'go missing'.

Jazz

« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2009, 11:46 »
Hi, I have jusst come across your note and it seems strange but I have a Thomas Sanderson, (my Great Grandfather,) born Durham/Northumberland in 1839/40, he was a coal miner, married a Mary Young in Chesterfield in 1864 prior to that I know nothing, there is no mention of a fathers name on the marriage certificate and I can find no parents for him prior to that. Does this mean anything to your search, Your help would be greatfully received. Thanks and Good Luck Jazz

Offline Lancelot

• Currack
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2009, 18:34 »
Hi, I have jusst come across your note and it seems strange but I have a Thomas Sanderson, (my Great Grandfather,) born Durham/Northumberland in 1839/40, he was a coal miner, married a Mary Young in Chesterfield in 1864 prior to that I know nothing, there is no mention of a fathers name on the marriage certificate and I can find no parents for him prior to that. Does this mean anything to your search, Your help would be greatfully received. Thanks and Good Luck Jazz

Have you found them on the 1871 census or any other census?
Lancelot

Tags: