// inshanghai in Durham (Chinese)

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: inshanghai in Durham (Chinese)  (Read 14545 times)

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
inshanghai in Durham (Chinese)
« on: Jun 27, 2007, 06:54 »
Inshanghai Restaurant Reviews, Durham, United Kingdom - TripAdvisor

Went to visit last night. It's the new location for Elephant, down by the river, in the old SCS shop.

The place has been done out to a higher standard than the original Elephant buffet place, which had the ambience of a diner. The new place looks better, with lots of dark wood, but 'dark' was a word we'd come back to later. The waiter took our drinks order and came back for the main meal. It wasn't straghtforward to me, maybe my brain was a little fuzzy. You can order from the buffet, or order a main meal AND select from the buffet. I ordered Lemon Chicken and Crue selected Salmon. We then went to check out the buffet. All good so far.

After our second visit to the buffet, the lights went out in the dining area and we were brought a candle for the table. We noticed a group of people come in, and then leave again after speaking with a waiter. We waited a bit longer for our main course, which didn't arrive, and obviously wasn't going to, so went back to the buffet for fruit and ice cream. Whilst we were eating this we hailed a waiter to ask what was going on, he said that no food would come from the kitchen as the electric was off in there too. We finished up and left to pay up, pensive to see what we'd be charged for.

Upon paying the bill, the lady in charge wanted to give us a 20% reduction on the Special Buffet price of £11.95, until we explained we hadn't had the Special Buffet (main meal + buffet) due to the electric problems, and that we weren't told that we wouldn't get what we ordered until we actually asked about it. She accepted that shouldn't have happened and gave us a Happy Hour Buffet price of £6.95, which we were happy with (cos that's what we had).

The food was nice, but they need to sort out the electric problems (they've been open for about a month) or people will start going elsewhere. It's no longer on the beaten track, so passing custom is a thing of the past. They are operating as a restaurant now, so word of mouth will drive business.

Advertise YOUR business

Offline Victoria Sponge

• Currack
Re: inshanghai in Durham
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2007, 08:45 »
We had previously visited the Elephant on several occasions and at less than ?7 for a buffet meal I found it good value for money.

But at the new location:-

The Food selection was good but they have certainly hiked up the price since their move. (now £11.90 for the evening buffet, or picking your own selection from the full menu was even more expensive). This is no longer a cheap option for an evening out. It is certainly more up market, but if that's their new target market then the level of customer service we experienced last night didn't balance the full price. They need to be a lot more polished to successfully move from the fast food atmosphere of the Elephant to what they are trying to achieve now.

As for the power cut/ lack of lighting - as well as a lack of power in the kitchen's - the car also failed to start at the garage on the way, and we'd already discussed if we should proceed to Durham of just give it  a miss. IMHO we should have taken the alternative decision and given it a miss.
cat's are cool, dogs drool

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2007, 08:47 »
Awww, I enjoyed it in a perverse sort of way. :-)

Offline Victoria Sponge

• Currack
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2007, 08:52 »
Awww, I enjoyed it in a perverse sort of way. :-)

Yes, But you also enjoyed it at Pizza Hut where we got the main course before the starters, where the waitress dropped things everytime she tried to co-ordinate up or down the 3 steps, we got no top up drinks and the wrong puds.
cat's are cool, dogs drool

Offline anonymous

• Dozzle
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2007, 09:22 »
He obviously doesn't care about the food, just the dinner companion.

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2007, 09:27 »
Yes, But you also enjoyed it at Pizza Hut where we got the main course before the starters, where the waitress dropped things everytime she tried to co-ordinate up or down the 3 steps, we got no top up drinks and the wrong puds.

But it was so far beyond being incompetent that you couldn't help but laugh. Ooh, there I go again, finding inappropriate things funny. I'll have Harry the Saxon on my case again. :-)

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
Re: inshanghai in Durham (Chinese)
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2012, 10:12 »
I've been in several times since, both by myself and in company, and i've enjoyed what i've had every time. The food is always piping hot and there's a cracking selection to be had. The daytime prices are quite good and it attracts a lot of hungry people. An even better idea is to go get your bread at Ciao Ciao (Mediterranean place just above it) and then go down to InShanghai for lunch.

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2012, 14:51 »
Going to InShanghai tonight, so will report back

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2012, 08:00 »
Was very nice again. Food was piping hot and the selection was huge, wine was a good price and the desserts were much improved. Recommended.

Offline tilerman

• Dozzle
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2012, 21:51 »
Was very nice again. Food was piping hot and the selection was huge, wine was a good price and the desserts were much improved. Recommended.
Hows the diet going Dave  :lol:
sedgefieldblues.com

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2012, 05:28 »
Aha, still canny mate. Only had the one course. All the others had starters and sweets :)

4 lbs down at the moment, as of this morning.
survived another weekend without too much trouble

Tags: