// Nissan

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: Nissan  (Read 6288 times)

phil7853

Nissan
« on: Dec 10, 2008, 13:56 »
As Nissan send home 3500 workers, what will happen to all the just in time supplier's
Will they just send all there work force home with out pay or lay them off ?
There are a lot of supplier's in the local area , poss 5000 people ?
No good Xmas for them them  :cry:

Advertise YOUR business

Offline greyhound lover

• Gadgie
Re: Nissan
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2008, 14:01 »
It's a worrying time for so many people.

My hubby works at Nissan, he's had the odd stand down day but not many, then he went in for night shift last night and was told to return on Monday - next Friday is also a stand down.  Some of the temps are worried their contracts will not be renewed

However the positive is that they are still producing cars, unlike some manufacturers, they are only producing what is "sold" but at least they are doing what they can to protect the workforce and the suppliers workforce.  Also the overall sales drop on vehicles is 50% and although 40%, at least Nissans is less.

But a time for everyone to worry, no doubt.  I hope for so many people's sake that this recession is over soon or that the government steps in to help

Offline Victoria Sponge

• Currack
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2008, 14:28 »
It's a worrying time for so many people.

Our plant has been on a four day week for a few weeks now. Our Christmas holidays are extended from 19th Dec through to either the 5th or 12th or Jan depending on which area of the plant. Those with holidays left are taking the extra days as holiday - those without holidays take these days unpaid. There's never a good time for this to happen but at Christmas time it hits even harder
cat's are cool, dogs drool

phil7853

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2008, 14:59 »
Most people should be on a standard week, therefore should get some pay if they are off work after being sent home by company  :cry:

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2008, 15:28 »
Anyone under threat of redundancy, wishing to calculate how much statutory redundancy they can expect can use the calculator here:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/employment/employment-legislation/employment-guidance/page33157.html

It'll be a bit of an eye-opener for some people.

Offline Victoria Sponge

• Currack
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2008, 16:26 »
Anyone under threat of redundancy, wishing to calculate how much statutory redundancy they can expect can use the calculator here:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/employment/employment-legislation/employment-guidance/page33157.html

It'll be a bit of an eye-opener for some people.

i tried the calc and I'd survive for 4 weeks without work.

I've been made redundant several times over the past 6 years, and on every occasion I've picked up another job quite easily - but this time I'm not as optimistic as everyone in engineering are all in the same boat. I really need to keep my job this time around. But time will tell!

Offline Victoria Sponge

• Currack
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2008, 16:33 »
Most people should be on a standard week, there for should get some pay if they are off work after being sent home by company  :cry:

And how are the company expected to meet a wage bill to pay everyone a standard week when there isn't any income from sales. - the bank won't extend the overdraft so where does the cash come from?

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2008, 17:12 »
Yep, when the pot is empty there ain't much choice for the employer if they are existing from hand to mouth.

Offline Credo

• NSPCC Helpline 0808 800 5000
  • Blatherskite!
  • The more people who know the less who suffer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2008, 17:43 »
Yep, when the pot is empty there ain't much choice for the employer if they are existing from hand to mouth.

You cant think that Nissan are existing hand to mouth
Visit www.lewybody.org  The more people who know the less who suffer

Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude
My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who I am talking to.

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2008, 18:01 »

I was meaning generally, not specifically Nissan, but don't forget, Japan is in an even worse recession at the moment than us, so Nissan may not be as solid as you think. I think there's going to be a lot of companies who will find the bottom drops out of their market quicker than they can make adjustments to reduce outgoings and costs. This will leave huge holes in cashflow, with inevitable results. They just run out of money.  :(

Offline flooky

• Gadgie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2008, 20:53 »

Just look at General Motors (Vauxhall in UK), Ford and Chrysler all trying to get emergency funding from the American Government. General Motors in particular is in dire straights and without funding may only have enough cash to last them to the end of this year.

BMW have stopped production of the Mini until the new year and most of the others are having extended Xmas breaks.

Nissan may actually be in a better position than some of the other Japanese ones because it is 49% owned by Renault and currently France is one of the only countries of the EU not in recession as their banks and the French as a whole do not lend/ borrow more then what is now found to be sensible (ie they live on what they earn not what they can borrow).

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2008, 23:12 »
Oates of Willington has ceased trading after 69 years  .....    independant Nissan dealer

another local household name  victim of the credit crunch

Tags: