// durham birth, marriages & deaths index

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: durham birth, marriages & deaths index  (Read 2498 times)

Offline zinnia

• Babba
durham birth, marriages & deaths index
« on: Apr 02, 2009, 16:09 »
Hello family history fans.
Can anyone tell me where I can now find the indexes I used to search regularly for registration  -  it was an official Durham gov website, but since the chages that came into force on 1 April, their website has changed.  This may have been covered in another post, but I'm finding it difficult to navigate this site.
Thanks for any help,
Zinnia

Advertise YOUR business

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
Re: durham birth, marriages & deaths index
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2009, 16:26 »
I used to have that bookmarked, but not here at work. I'll try to see if I still have it at home. However, if you say the location has changed on the Durham CC site then it may not help. It may have even been discontinued. Have your tried emailing them to ask? They are usually very good.

Offline zinnia

• Babba
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2009, 16:55 »
Thank you milord for your prompt reply. I will indeed email them. I hope it has not been discontinued - I've found it very useful in the past, especially as I'm researching Durham family history from long distance. I'll post again if I get a response.

Offline zinnia

• Babba
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2009, 20:24 »
I had a speedy reply from the new DCC :

"From 1st April, County Durham became a unitary council, and as part of that, a new website has been created. This has, unfortunately, caused problems for people who have bookmarked pages on one of our old websites. It will also take sites such as Google a few days to update their records. You should be able to go to our homepage at http://www.durham.gov.uk, and choose Registrars certificates from our Popular Pages."

But I still draw a blank at Registrars certificates. Is it the same for everyone?

Offline Tessxvi

• Gadgie
  • . . . life in the Eighties
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2009, 23:45 »
What period are you interested in ?  FreeBMD is pretty good now sometimes into the 1920s and 1930s.  I have a subscription to FindMyPast and will help you until you get sorted - if that is any use ?
Tessxvi

Offline zinnia

• Babba
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2009, 10:50 »
Yes, I use FreeBMD too, but when you look up marriages there are usually several names on the page, whereas with the Durham County site, you find the spouse you're looking for. Thank you for the offer of help, but I can't remember which name I was looking for - I just wanted to access the registers for a general look. Has anyone tried to access the Registers, using the link from the DCC? I'd be interested to know whether anyone is more successful than I was.

By the way, does anyone on this board go to County Hall to look at parish records? And would be willing to do a bit of research? I can only get there very infrequently as I live towards the other end of the country.
I could do the same for anyone who needs help with Gloucestershire records.

Offline zinnia

• Babba
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2009, 18:24 »
Just to let you know - the Durham County site is now available again. And as before, you can find names of spouses in the marriage index.

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2009, 18:45 »
Just to let you know - the Durham County site is now available again. And as before, you can find names of spouses in the marriage index.

The page is here :

http://nd.durham.gov.uk/gro/newgro.nsf/search?open&C0372243070407042009

Tags: