// The FOX CUB DURHAM GATE SPENNYMOOR NEW PUB GRUB

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: The FOX CUB DURHAM GATE SPENNYMOOR NEW PUB GRUB  (Read 7381 times)

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
Well  I have drove past for two weeks now,  and everytime I pass its always seems busy in the pub and car park ....     mmmmmm ?

Ok,  so temptation  drew me into the doors recently

Its new...  so its modern and clean  the staff are friendly and how long this will last ? 

Just missed the condiment theft,  wondered what all the commotion was about outside   ..  (three full sets ...  allegedly ..  why ? )

Anyway..  I ordered a gammon steak , missus got a lasagna and the bairn had fish+chips

Its the two for one meal  so   what I got was fair  and not flash but was quality nice lump of well cooked meat ...  it just lacked something ???
I don't think it went down well at first when ordering , I was given the option  egg or pinapple ? 
We all had clean plates and where reasonable happy

only complaint from me was  those awful packet mustard sachets ...    I hate them and whats inside   

If I went again I wouldn't have the same ?     

(So not really my first choice of going back for another session...  )

Comparing the price to a recent meal at the Gretna Green a few months ago ,   this was a couple of quid cheaper ...

Mind you,   I think a lot of the menu is expensive ...  but I would have to see what you get on your plate to warrant the value

Thing I wondered was,    where have all the other diners come from ?

Have they upgraded to here than going for a Maccy D ?
or have they travelled from there usual haunt to try here .. ?
Just with the car park always busy ...    you never see this at  Thinford or Coach and Horses

Croxdale Inn was a regular place for us then we stopped going after a few poor meals
The  Nicky nack   was a put off   as you had to phone and book first ...    food was good but you couldn't drop in  or have the discounts ?  bothered NO!

So the test of this new pub is the standard of its grub ....    if it falls off or gets too expensive well  theres and ideal   Tesco express in the making   

Advertise YOUR business

Offline flooky

• Gadgie
Re: The FOX CUB DURHAM GATE SPENNYMOOR NEW PUB GRUB
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2011, 10:06 »
Called in on Saturday afternoon, there was a few cars in the car park but not busy.

SWMBO had Mexican Chicken off the Low Calorie Meals and I had the spicy Tuna, washed down with a pint of Hobgoblin and Fosters for my my wife.

The tuna was nice with just a bit of a kick from the chillies, the Mexican chicken was a smoother sauce, not quite the same kick from it.
Both came with new potatoes, carrots and green beens which were OK but the green beans soon got cold which put my wife off from finishing them.
We had orered a serving of garlic bread with cheese to go with it which was 3 pieces and was OK.

Eying up the desserts we spotted a trio of ice cream (little blocks of different flavour ice cream on a biscuit base) which was chocolate, mint choc and a caramel toffee, the last two were very nice but neither of us are much keen on the chocolate one so ate it first.
We shared the dessert and had asked for 2 spoons with it which came with no problems at all.

The staff are very attentative (maybe overly so for some) asking if everything is OK and can they get you anything.

As we had signed up on site before hand we each got a drinks voucher so the drinks came free and with the main meals being two for one ended up with a total bill of £15.95 (The drinks would have been £2.95 and £2.10 each - I think)

At first sight the main meals don't seem good value but it is priced for the 2 for 1 offers ans we also got a voucher for 2 for 1 for a dessert for the next visit.  :D

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2011, 09:11 »
Still haven't been to visit yet. I'll have to make an effort. Maybe we'll go with my mum for Sunday Lunch?

Offline flooky

• Gadgie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2011, 10:14 »
If you sign up on their web site for updates of info, etc you get a free drink voucher (to be used within 6 months).

I also have 2 two for one dessert vouchers one of which runs out the end of this month (I think) if you PM me you address I will put it through you lettbox for you (you may have got one yourself as they were putting them through lettorboxes in Ferryhill last week)

Offline david.rob

• Babba
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2011, 18:22 »
On passing this new building a few times i decided to take my fiancé there for a meal. On arrival we were met by a "greeter" we just wanted to have a drink first but we were ushered to our table where we were rushed into getting a drink so never had a look at the choices on offer. After getting our drinks we were asked if we would like to order our food, we asked if we could have a couple of drinks first only to be told to move to another section (unbelievable) when WE had decided that WE wanted something to eat we asked if we could move back to the so called “restaurant”  the server said she would come back to seat us, 15 minutes later she returned.
I ordered Aubergine Moussaka, which was over cooked, or should I say over microwaved and my fiancé ordered the Classic Burger, which was dry and obviously microwaved as well and not even a fist full of fries. Whilst looking for a jack hammer to break the top of the Moussaka we heard the manageress say to one of her staff, in front of the customers  “that if they done a runner without paying it would come out of her wages”. After this we decided to give up eating and ask for the bill, again we waited 15 minutes so we went to the bar area to pay, but the server did not know how to work the till, so another 5 minutes waiting to pay………  At last we were in our car never to return. If you value your dentures avoid at all costs.

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2011, 18:40 »
On passing this new building a few times i decided to take my fiancé there for a meal. On arrival we were met by a "greeter" we just wanted to have a drink first but we were ushered to our table where we were rushed into getting a drink so never had a look at the choices on offer. After getting our drinks we were asked if we would like to order our food, we asked if we could have a couple of drinks first only to be told to move to another section (unbelievable) when WE had decided that WE wanted something to eat we asked if we could move back to the so called “restaurant”  the server said she would come back to seat us, 15 minutes later she returned.
I ordered Aubergine Moussaka, which was over cooked, or should I say over microwaved and my fiancé ordered the Classic Burger, which was dry and obviously microwaved as well and not even a fist full of fries. Whilst looking for a jack hammer to break the top of the Moussaka we heard the manageress say to one of her staff, in front of the customers  “that if they done a runner without paying it would come out of her wages”. After this we decided to give up eating and ask for the bill, again we waited 15 minutes so we went to the bar area to pay, but the server did not know how to work the till, so another 5 minutes waiting to pay………  At last we were in our car never to return. If you value your dentures avoid at all costs.

But apart from that you enjoyed it right?

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2012, 22:17 »
Back in Spennymoor on Sunday...   and noticed the pub was quiet early door 12.30 so thought we would try an in an out Sunday dinner

Well ...   it was quiet ?   last time I came it was heaving ?
Didn't get the usual table for three ....   assistance   so found our own seats  ( knew it wouldn't last long )

Ordered drinks and  one beef and two turkey dinners

Took ages to arrive !!

OK it wasn't that bad if you had an axe ...   every veg was too hard  even to cut   do Chefs not taste what they are serving?

It wasn't the best meal  I have bought ..   but then  that's why its dead  in there as the food has gone down hill RAPIDLY !

I complained ... like the other three people before me .. but the manageress's was saying she was going to have a word later
I think she should have been on to them before
She offered me a discount on my next meal   but I declined   ...  never to return
She said it was quiet due to after Xmas  ...  but I disagreed stating that the foods crap that's why no ones in
We left ...    passed the Thinford Inn ( with its past history )  it was full to the gunnel's        STRANGE ?
down the A167  the Coach and Horses   and that was busy too    so much for   people watching the Penny's
Just to add there was a long Que at  the big M  too

So another new pub that had the potential to be a good standard has fallen so early
and he I was thinking that the  Coach and Thinford would struggle   ...   HOW WRONG I WAS  !!!!

Offline flooky

• Gadgie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2012, 16:18 »
Well, just called in today thinking we would try a desert after finding out what the new menu was like.

My advice to anyone that has not tried it yet is avoid the main meals as they seem to have got worse than before and the service has definately gone downhill.

I ordered an Aztec pie, which at first sounded quite nice ... tortilla layers with chicken, tomatoes, peppers an chilli sauce with chips, corn on the cob and sour cream and chive dip.
SWMBO had Tex Mex chicken with rice.

Mine was over microwaved, so the edges was dry verging on hard (and it looked like there was 3 layers of toritlla and not much filling)  I got 4 chips and no sign of the sour cream dip.
SWMBO's was dry with not much taste but quite a bit of rice.

By the time we finished our main meal it seemed like the staff that were on duty disappeared ..... we waited and waited to order a desert, which we were looking forward to as they looked quite nice ...... 15 to 20 mins later there was one bar staff and one young lady cleaning tables down the other end of the pub.
Not once had they come around the area we, and 4 other groups/ couples were sat until we put our coats on and went to the bar to pay.

This is supposed to be a waitress service/ordering at your table ..... it would help if they had staff on to do this or the staff they had on came around the tables at both ends of the pub.

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2012, 08:29 »
Well even though its sort of on my doorstep   I haven't or wont go back

Maybe its the novelty of being new, but when you get your bill and see the price of the drinks your pleased the meal ( use the term loosely) are two for one

Thankfully  the Green Tree Tudhoe has our Sunday dinner time slot now ...   its not worth the chew for the missus to stand cooking for an hour or more  all the prep  shopping and washing up after
Works out the same as three going to Fox cub and with real unbutchered ale and bloody good food
Extra yorkshire pudding on request and a heap of good quality meat
Straddle out and enjoy your Sunday

Fox cub is a business,  but if you cant serve good affordable food with no gimmicks and fair price unmolested beer ...     without complaint    well its time to look at the competion or your chefs

Does that March Hare at Bishop /  Tindale  get as much bad press as this new pub as they did open together and its under the Marstons brand ?

Went to Tan Hill yesterday ...   bit of a walk  but nice to build a snow man with the kids !! till the wind blew its head off

Offline flooky

• Gadgie
« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2012, 18:11 »
Well, following a complaint to Marston's I got this reply back from them.

"Sent on behalf of Nigel Whitfield

Dear Mr Flook

I write with reference to your recent e-mail regarding your visit to the Fox Cub, Spennymoor and would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the problems you encountered on your visit.

I can confirm that the points raised in your e-mail have been discussed with the Management team at the Fox Cub and the appropriate re-training has taken place in order to prevent any future repetition of the problems you experienced. 

I would like to assure you that this does not reflect our usual high standard of service and customer care at the Fox Cub and I do hope that your disappointing experience will not deter you from visiting the pub again in the near future.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies and thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.

Yours sincerely

NIGEL WHITFIELD
Area Operations Manager

Now the question is ............ does anyone believe they have done anything about the food and lack of service we found and

.... is anyone going to volunteer to go there and see if things have inproved following this latest complaint?

Offline hath

• Bonny Lad
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2012, 20:37 »
Does that March Hare at Bishop /  Tindale  get as much bad press as this new pub as they did open together and its under the Marstons brand ?
service is not bad but meals are awfull which is a shame as he first week or so that it opened were decent for what i call a plastic pub, i sometimes wonder if they have chefs that travell and work in a newly open pub for a couple weeks as these pupets cant be the same chefs as the start

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2012, 12:57 »
I think one of the major problems has gone ?
The original manageress has gone   ....   back down the north  :mrgreen:  ?  ( Derbyshire )

So there is a new manager in office and staff morel is on the rise
New ideas new menu
Even the staff raise a smile or too

My wife was in last week for a drink with a friend
She did say the food looked OK     but it wasn't busy

She did suggest     ....   but I declined ......    even when I was told

To buy a mixed grill for £16.95  and not get an egg or pinapple ring  is SHOCKING

Rather go to   Manky MacDonald's ...   and never been there for 10 years
Bit shocked as my daughter went to a sleep over ...   and there  mother bought all the kids  Maccy D for tea/ supper treat     happy meals
My daughter has never been, or eaten the junk  and when it was given it to her ? she didn't know what to do with it
She had the fries  and left whatever was in the wrapper and slurped the drink and left it
The other kids where a bit miffed by her actions  when she stated she doesn't like it 
all her scraps soon got eaten by the others     
Is this weird ? 

I have always told my daughter the the big M stands for Manky    so she has never wanted to go in   
Maybe education  sometimes works ?

Tags: