// Save Newcastle City Hall

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: Save Newcastle City Hall  (Read 4508 times)

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
Save Newcastle City Hall
« on: Nov 29, 2012, 14:17 »
Newcastle City Council say the City Hall has no long term future. Some of the best gigs i've ever been to were at the City Hall

Sign the petition to help save it. There's over 5,000 signatures so far!
http://www.change.org/petitions/newcastle-city-council-save-newcastle-city-hall?utm_medium=email&utm_source=supporter_message

Advertise YOUR business

Offline flooky

• Gadgie
Re: Save Newcastle City Hall
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2012, 14:32 »
Signed ........ that place brings back memories ........ saw my first gig there back in 1980 (UFO), 3 days after passing my driving test. I was told I had to pass as I was driving one of the 3 cars going there (it was someone elses car too).

Offline Big Al

• Kidda
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2012, 15:56 »
Signed with pleasure. Been going there since the 60s. One of the few theatres then with "No Smoking" allowed. Great venue.

I went to the Arena once only - to see Diana Ross. We were only a third of the way back and it could have been Shirley Bassey for all we could see :>)

Big Al

Offline tilerman

• Dozzle
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2012, 17:07 »
Signed. First one for me was Supertramp in 77 quickly followed by dozens more. Lindisfarne Xmas Eve concerts are my favourite memory of the City hall.
sedgefieldblues.com

Offline tilerman

• Dozzle
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2012, 10:24 »
Up to 7,500 ish now, still need a lot more
sedgefieldblues.com

Offline tilerman

• Dozzle
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:08 »
Theres a CD released today by 'friends ' of the City Hall. I saw the 'attention Seekers ', play this a few years ago, glad they've picked this to put on the CD
sedgefieldblues.com

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2012, 09:03 »
Reminds me of the Lindisfarne shows they used to do at the City Hall. Magical nights they were, down in Dingly Dell.  8)

Offline tilerman

• Dozzle
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2012, 09:34 »
I see Ray Jacksons (Jakka) doing a few dates with the Animals next year!
sedgefieldblues.com

Offline tilerman

• Dozzle
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2013, 10:04 »
Just got myself a ticket for a concert for the 'city Hall'. Not at the city Hall strangely enough but at the Cluny, next Sunday afternoon (6th)
sedgefieldblues.com

Offline tilerman

• Dozzle
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2013, 20:11 »
SUMMARY OF NEWCASTLE CITY COUNCIL STATEMENTS

(i) 20 Nov    City Council document lists 5 options for the City Hall, but also identifies an “ambition to see the redevelopment of the whole site”.
(ii) 26 Nov   In response to the NEMH petition to save the City Hall, Cllr Nick Forbes said, “People should be in no doubt that City Hall will continue to act as one our most valued and historic venues for the foreseeable future while we try and secure a long-term sustainable solution for it.”
(iii) 27 Nov   The very next day, Cllr Forbes tells BBC Newcastle, “The whole site - the City Hall and pool - doesn't have a long-term future given the current funding climate.”
(iv) 13 Dec   Newcastle City Hall management announces it has put forward a series of proposals which will enhance the financial viability of the City Hall and these proposals are “currently being evaluated” by the Council.
(v) 21 Dec   Newcastle Cllr Veronica Dunn tells BBC Radio Newcastle no proposal to close the City Hall exists (even though sale of the site to a developer is among the options in the Council’s original document). The Council will review the City Hall’s operation and consider that alongside the possible closure of the adjacent City Pool. “We will look at all of our options for the future of the whole site... and certainly not until years 2 and 3 of the budget running forward to 2016”.

So, to recap: (i) it may have a future; (ii) it has a future; (iii) it doesn’t have a future; (iv) the Council is evaluating City Hall management proposals to determine whether it might have a future; and (v) the Council won’t say whether it has a future or not and possibly won’t make its mind up until 2014/15.

We hope that’s clear!!!
sedgefieldblues.com

Offline tilerman

• Dozzle
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2013, 22:47 »
Enjoyed my trip to the Cluny this afternoon, politics aside, enjoyable Sunday afternoon
sedgefieldblues.com

Offline compo

• Bonny Lad
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2013, 08:49 »
Still remember my first trip to the City Hall. Del Shanon over 50 years ago, Oct 62. Saw one of my all time favourites there as well, The Everley Brothers. Signed with pleasure.

Tags: