// Durham, Blackhill, Consett-DENT Surname

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: Durham, Blackhill, Consett-DENT Surname  (Read 2575 times)

rgdent

Durham, Blackhill, Consett-DENT Surname
« on: May 26, 2004, 19:22 »
I am posting this message in the hopes that someone might be able to help me.  My paternal grandfather's name is Thomas Parnaby Dent.  I don't have a year or place that he was born, except that it was in the north part of England.  I know that in 1923, he was listed as a laborer, his occupation was also listed as a Steelworker.  I have been told that my Dent's come from farming stock in the NE part of England.  The family lived near Wolsingham, then moved to Rowlands Gill.  Thomas married Jane or Anne (1864-14 Sept 1949) and they had the following children
Robert William (24 Apr 1897 - 23 Jul 1967) my grandfather
Phoebe (1901-1 Dec 2003)
Fred
Nancy
Eddie (adopted-died 1997)

Robert was born in the Wolsingham Sub District, Northumberland and lived in Rowlands Gill and Blackhill before he was married to Elsie Robinson in 1923 in the Parish Church in the Parish of Blackhill, Consett, County Durham.  Robert and Elsie immigrated to Canada on 7 Apr 1930 with their 3 children.  Fred was born somewhere in the north part of England and married Margaret, Fred died in 1943 and had two daughters, Freda and Irene, I have no further information on them. Nancy worked as a nursemaid prior to giving birth to Eddie, who was adopted by her parents (Thomas and Jane).
I know that my great grandfather's name is Thomas as it was listed on my grandfather's marriage certificate.  Can anyone help me find out more about Thomas Parnaby Dent and possibly trace farther back.  I did receive some information from the 1881 census that a Thomas P. Dent was residing at Wesley Terrace, Middleton In Teesadale, Durham England.  It indicated that Ann Dent age 60 was head of household, widowed and was born Copley, Durham.  Showed her children as Thomas P., 22, born Middleton, Durham, occ. Lead Ore Miner; Sarah Ann, 19, Middleton, Durham; John, 17, Middleton, Durham, occ; Lead Ore Washer; James, 15, Middleton, Durham, occ. Lead Ore Washer.
I was also told that my GG grandparents might be named Thomas and Ann Dent, but haven't been able to prove this yet.  I would love to be able find out more about my Dents.  By the way my father Robert Kenneth was born in 1929 at Murray Hospital, Benfieldside, Blackhill, Co. Durham.

Advertise YOUR business

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 22:32 »
I've looked at FreeBMD for you and have found 4 entries which could be your Fred Dent in the Teesdale registration area:

Mar 1895 Dent  Fred     Teesdale  10a 278
Jun 1898 Dent  Frederick John     Teesdale  10a 278
Sep 1902 Dent  Frederick     Teesdale  10a 296
Mar 1906 Dent  Frederick     Teesdale  10a 315

It's a bit busy at the moment, so I suggest you try later. You could try a search for Thomas Parnaby Dent (a distinctive name, was Parnaby his mother's maiden name I wonder?) and see if it turns up anything.

If I can find out anything more i'll let you know.

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 23:28 »
Examining FreeBMD for Thomas Dent around 1858-1860 (Thomas P. aged 22 in 1881) :

Mar 1859 DENT  Thomas    Teesdale  10a 17[35]
Jun 1859 DENT  Thomas     Teesdale  10a 189

So either of these could be your man. You should send for these two birth certificates, obviously one will be wrong. This will give you names of parents and confirm place of residence. The next step would be to track down the marriage of Thomas and Ann. Marriage certificate, if it exists, would confirm Ann's maiden name (hopefully Parnaby?), their ages and both of their father's names, which gets you back a further generation!

If you're on the wrong track the details just won't fit.

What could be simpler.  :?:  :)

Maybe useful later (or not)

Esther DENT married Henry PARNABY in Darlington R.D. 10a 18 in Jun Qtr 1875.

glenys

SURNAMES
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2004, 15:11 »
I WILL HAVE A LOOK ON THE 1861 and 1881 CENSUS CD FOR DURHAM I HAVE COME ACCROSS QUITE A FEW (DENTS) in the durham area regards Glenys

Tags: