// The Poacher's Metal Bridge

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: The Poacher's Metal Bridge  (Read 22599 times)

SAFC_FTM4EVA

The Poacher's Metal Bridge
« on: Feb 20, 2006, 20:38 »
Has anyone visited The Poachers recently?
Been meaning to go but keep putting it off! Would appreciate it if anyone could give some feedback on the place?
Thankyou  :roll:

Advertise YOUR business

SAFC1BeerMonster

re: The Poacher's Metal Bridge
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2006, 00:22 »
Been twice in last two years and would not go back.  Only visited the second time because the Old Mill was packed out so walked up to the Poachers.

After our meals arrived we both remembered why we said we would never go back.

Terrible food in my eyes but everyone has their own tastes and it does get quite busy.

I don't know why, after all I eat out so I can get good grub without slaving in the kitchen for an hour before hand.  If I wanted a frozen meal I would have just gone into my freezer instead of going to the Poachers.

I grudge paying over the odds for something that came out of a plastic carton and defrosted in the microwave.

Chris

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2006, 13:19 »
I used to quite like this place, but I was there the other week and was less than impressed with it. The order for our table was wrong, then the order for the next table was wrong. The service appears to have gone downhill somewhat.

Offline bazza

• Currack
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2006, 14:55 »
Have been a couple of times but not impressed.........'Ping Food'
When there is nothing more to be said....Bazza goes and says it

SAFC_FTM4EVA

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2006, 10:58 »
Hi, despite the comments me and my friend tried the Poacher's last night.
 It was fantastic, i had homemade steak and ale pie and it was delicious, my friend had the fresh Salmon, both of us throughly enjoyed our meals.
Couldn't believe how busy the place was either, we were told there would be a delay of up to 45 Min's and we waited nowhere near that! The staff and the service was tip top too! We even left a tip!
AND THE CHIPS WERE TO DIE FOR!
We will definitely be going back, without a doubt!
 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

SAFC1BeerMonster

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2006, 12:25 »
Home made?  I take it some of the workers must class the factory it was produced in as their home.

Fresh Slamon?  Obviously it was once fresh unless it was man made.  But I bet it's last 2 weeks of it's dead life were in the freezer.

Oh and yes you get chips, lots and lots of chips.  Did they remove the eyes this time?  Yuk!

Hehe, sorry guys for the flaming but I hate this place.

Give me the Old Mill any day.

SAFC_FTM4EVA

« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2006, 03:24 »
Im thinking Mr beer monster, you must work at the old mill do you?
I only asked for your opinon of the Poachers and you gave me it so no need to come back with comments like that just because i had a nice opinion. You go to the old mill and enjoy it and ill go to the Poachers and enjoy that.
GoodNight!

You

Re: re: The Poacher's Metal Bridge
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2006, 05:17 »
Quote from: Bazza

'Ping Food'

I've been reading this thread and wondered what that means.

It's just dawned on me.

:lol:  :lol: I'll have to remember that one.

It's been a long time since I've visited the Poachers.  I think the last time it was called the Poachers Pocket.  I think we might visit again soon to see if it's as bad as you guys say.

However, it'll never be the same as when Ernest (the small bloke who kept pens in his large white beard) had it and it was called the Wild Boar.  Ernest was the character who gave it some soul.

Speaking of Ernest, did anyone see him and his good lady on Channel 4 doing a house swap with another couple form abroad?  I think it was aired approx 2 years ago.  :?

Offline alexander

• Blatherskite!
  • The Dalai Viking has spoken
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2006, 17:52 »
The Fastest Milkman in the West ?

You're born alone, you die alone.  Anything in between is make believe.

SAFC1BeerMonster

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2006, 13:42 »
Nope I don't work at the Mill but went on Saturday night for a 'real' meal.  Fresh pan fried Plaice with mushrooms and prawns.  Now that is better than some scabby chips and a nuked fish.  :wink:

You asked for peoples comments on this place and I am giving mine,

Ad I said earlier in my post, everyone has their own tastes and I also mentioned that it gets busy.  Freedom of speach mate, and my opinion is that this place is crap.

Huyton Hoofer

« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2006, 14:03 »
I find this all very interesting.

I've had  meals at the Poachers from time to time and never really been disappointed.  The range and choice is enormous too and it seems to cater for all tastes.If I have one criticism, then it's that there always seems to be too much on the plate and my stomach just ain't that big.

The food I've had always seems to be freshly cooked and not microwaved and if a pub is measured by the car park then the Poachers is doing something right.

I've eaten in the Mill too and it's sister pub the Cross Keys in Middleham and whilst good, generally feel that is more in the "Ping" mode than the Poachers. If I had to choose between the two then the Poachers would be my preference every time. It just feels more like a pub and less like a hotel.

It's always going to be difficult to measure one against another, after all "one mans meat is another mans poison."

Huyton Hoofer

Re: re: The Poacher's Metal Bridge
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2006, 14:08 »
Quote from: SAFC1BeerMonster
Nope I don't work at the Mill but went on Saturday night for a 'real' meal.  Fresh pan fried Plaice with mushrooms and prawns.  Now that is better than some scabby chips and a nuked fish.  :wink:

You asked for peoples comments on this place and I am giving mine,

Ad I said earlier in my post, everyone has their own tastes and I also mentioned that it gets busy.  Freedom of speach mate, and my opinion is that this place is crap.

SAFC1BeerMonster, given your culinary interests and "Michael Winner" style appraisals,I would appreciate your views on the Pies, Pasties, Burgers and Chips served up at the Stadium of Light.

I could sum them up in one word, but I'd probaly be banned from this forum and that would never do.

Tags: bar meal