// The Poacher's Metal Bridge

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: The Poacher's Metal Bridge  (Read 22473 times)

Huyton Hoofer

Re: re: The Poacher's Metal Bridge
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2006, 14:08 »
Quote from: SAFC1BeerMonster
Nope I don't work at the Mill but went on Saturday night for a 'real' meal.  Fresh pan fried Plaice with mushrooms and prawns.  Now that is better than some scabby chips and a nuked fish.  :wink:

You asked for peoples comments on this place and I am giving mine,

Ad I said earlier in my post, everyone has their own tastes and I also mentioned that it gets busy.  Freedom of speach mate, and my opinion is that this place is crap.

SAFC1BeerMonster, given your culinary interests and "Michael Winner" style appraisals,I would appreciate your views on the Pies, Pasties, Burgers and Chips served up at the Stadium of Light.

I could sum them up in one word, but I'd probaly be banned from this forum and that would never do.

Advertise YOUR business

SAFC1BeerMonster

re: The Poacher's Metal Bridge
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2006, 14:51 »
Now why would I want to try the food at the SOL?

Offline Legend

• Dozzle
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2006, 14:54 »
Quote from: Huyton Hoofer
Nope I don't work at the Mill but went on Saturday night for a 'real' meal.  Fresh pan fried Plaice with mushrooms and prawns.  Now that is better than some scabby chips and a nuked fish.  :wink:

You asked for peoples comments on this place and I am giving mine,

Ad I said earlier in my post, everyone has their own tastes and I also mentioned that it gets busy.  Freedom of speach mate, and my opinion is that this place is crap.

SAFC1BeerMonster, given your culinary interests and "Michael Winner" style appraisals,I would appreciate your views on the Pies, Pasties, Burgers and Chips served up at the Stadium of Light.

I could sum them up in one word, but I'd probaly be banned from this forum and that would never do.

Balti Pies aren't bad, but I don't go now, so haven't had one in a while.
The North East Forum

Forums for North East England and County Durham. Chat with other Mackems, Mags and Smoggies. Sport and other stuff for lads 'n' lasses.

Offline Legend

• Dozzle
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2006, 15:00 »
I've eaten in the Mill too and it's sister pub the Cross Keys in Middleham and whilst good, generally feel that is more in the "Ping" mode than the Poachers. If I had to choose between the two then the Poachers would be my preference every time. It just feels more like a pub and less like a hotel.

We've eaten at both and it's my opinion that the Old Mill is far superior. If you want chips and lots of them, go to the Poachers, if you want something better, The Old Mill is the deal. We've also been to the Hamilton Russell Arms at Thorpe Thewles (run by the same people) and that's good too.

The last meal we had at the Poachers, I ordered chili con carne and what I got was minced beef. There weren't even any kidney beans and it was about as hot as salad cream.

Never had a bad meal at The Old Mill.
The North East Forum

Forums for North East England and County Durham. Chat with other Mackems, Mags and Smoggies. Sport and other stuff for lads 'n' lasses.

Huyton Hoofer

« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2006, 15:45 »

More to the point, why wouldn't you? or do you prefer Joans Cafe, Sizzlers or Premier Burger Van?

I guess you must fill up at the Mill on a matchday.

Mind you I wouldn't eat the **** served up there either.

Huyton Hoofer

« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2006, 15:57 »

We've eaten at both and it's my opinion that the Old Mill is far superior. If you want chips and lots of them, go to the Poachers, if you want something better, The Old Mill is the deal. We've also been to the Hamilton Russell Arms at Thorpe Thewles (run by the same people) and that's good too.

The last meal we had at the Poachers, I ordered chili con carne and what I got was minced beef. There weren't even any kidney beans and it was about as hot as salad cream.

Never had a bad meal at The Old Mill.

Chips, like anything else on the menu are a choice. You don't have to have them. I've asked for vegetables and received them. If you're not happy with a service then speak up. You pay , you have a say.

Always found both the Mill, and the Keys too dark to be able to see exactly what I'm eating.

It's all matter of taste and opinion. I'll stick with the Poachers, You stick with the Mill and we'll live happily ever after

Offline Legend

• Dozzle
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2006, 16:18 »
I know bad meals tend to forge an opinion quickly (I said "and it's my opinion") and unfortunately it tarnishes your view of things so much that you favour other places, but we had a very poor meal at the Poachers, never had one at the Mill.

As for complaining, how do you know I didn't?  :wink:
The North East Forum

Bob31

« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2006, 17:46 »
I visit The Poachers quite regularly and have never had a bad meal yet, there is always so much choice and i can tell the difference between fresh and so called 'ping' food, plus i wont mention any names but i used to work for a food delivery service and know for a fact The Old Mill get far more frozen food than the Poachers (sorry to dissapoint Old Mill fans) and after all with The Poachers having such a variety (a menu, a special board and chefs specials changed every other day) not every single item coud be fresh i dont know of one in the area that doesnt. Everytime we go it is busy so they can't be doing much wrong. I do know what some people mean about the amount of chips, but they are delicious and i have heard of people going just because they love them so much, sometimes i get a jacket and salad or mash/boils and veg which are equally as nice.  I would definately reccommend people to try this place.
 :D

Offline Legend

• Dozzle
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2006, 18:59 »
Hi Bob, welcome to the forum.

Maybe it's time to give the Poachers another chance like you say. I've got no qualms about having to freeze some ingredients, but you take what you find. I'm not saying the meal was terrible, just that if it was supposed to be chili con carne then they'd better get a new cookbook.

I never say that i'm reviewing a meal for here before we eat, but if we enjoy it we'll tell them, and if not, well they get the thumbs down here.

Worst meal I've ever had in a pub was at The Dog at Heighington. We've never been back.
The North East Forum

SAFC1BeerMonster

« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2006, 20:52 »

More to the point, why wouldn't you? or do you prefer Joans Cafe, Sizzlers or Premier Burger Van?

I guess you must fill up at the Mill on a matchday.

Mind you I wouldn't eat the **** served up there either.

Dude I don't support Bob Murray and his family hence the reason I don't pay to watch Sunderland any more, hence I have not tried the pies in over 3 years.

You

« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2006, 04:33 »
When the Poachers was called the Wild Boar, Ernest had a small guage steam engine in the back garden and he used to take the kids for rides on it.  He was the first owner who recognised that there was a big market of families who would like to go out for a bar meal but would have to keep the kids entertained to do so.

In my experience that family pub thing is very popular with parents and kids but probably not so popular with couples who are looking for a quiet meal.  It all depends what you want.

Chris

« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2006, 13:47 »
Always found both the Mill, and the Keys too dark to be able to see exactly what I'm eating.

Now that is a bad sign!

FrodoInFerryhill

« Reply #23 from previous page: Feb 28, 2006, 23:58 »
Hello all.
Been lurking here many months, think its time to post. :D

I was in the Poachers tonight. It was fantastic! What a lovely pub.
The menu was big, it had a main menu, a special board with a hell of a lot of choice. Plus it had a chef's special board. So much to choice from.

We found a table no problem. I ordered the Pepper Pot Beef, it was to die for! It came with rice, carrots, peas, cabbage in a creamy sauce and homemade chips. My girlfriend had fresh grilled tuna steak with a creamy white wine sauce, it came with the same vegetables but she had boiled potatoes.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Also we did not have to wait long for meals.
We were so stuffed, really wish we had room for desserts.

I must say the Poachers is good value for money, and it does high quality food.

Tags: bar meal