// The Poacher's Metal Bridge

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: The Poacher's Metal Bridge  (Read 22607 times)

FrodoInFerryhill

re: The Poacher's Metal Bridge
« Reply #23 from previous page: Feb 28, 2006, 23:58 »
Hello all.
Been lurking here many months, think its time to post. :D

I was in the Poachers tonight. It was fantastic! What a lovely pub.
The menu was big, it had a main menu, a special board with a hell of a lot of choice. Plus it had a chef's special board. So much to choice from.

We found a table no problem. I ordered the Pepper Pot Beef, it was to die for! It came with rice, carrots, peas, cabbage in a creamy sauce and homemade chips. My girlfriend had fresh grilled tuna steak with a creamy white wine sauce, it came with the same vegetables but she had boiled potatoes.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Also we did not have to wait long for meals.
We were so stuffed, really wish we had room for desserts.

I must say the Poachers is good value for money, and it does high quality food.

Advertise YOUR business

Offline alexander

• Blatherskite!
  • The Dalai Viking has spoken
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2006, 07:34 »
I always find it interesting which topic new posters choose to make their very first post. This thread has three already. Not saying that's a bad thing at all, just slightly odd perhaps  :roll:
You're born alone, you die alone.  Anything in between is make believe.

You

Re: re: The Poacher's Metal Bridge
« Reply #25 on: Mar 01, 2006, 12:38 »
Quote from: alexander
I always find it interesting which topic new posters choose to make their very first post. This thread has three already. Not saying that's a bad thing at all, just slightly odd perhaps  :roll:

I noticed that as well.  :lol:

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 01, 2006, 12:56 »
And me. All AOL posters too.  8)

FrodoInFerryhill

« Reply #27 on: Mar 01, 2006, 14:59 »
Quote from: deus ex machina
And me. All AOL posters too.  8)

What's that got do with the price of chicken? :?

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 01, 2006, 16:50 »
Just us paranoid Admins/Mods talking out loud mate.  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Stromboli

• Dozzle
« Reply #29 on: Mar 18, 2006, 00:49 »
all of this has made me decide to try the poachers... at lunch time

Offline alexander

• Blatherskite!
  • The Dalai Viking has spoken
« Reply #30 on: Mar 18, 2006, 08:42 »
If anything else fails there, matey, I hear you'll get plenty of chips  :lol:
You're born alone, you die alone.  Anything in between is make believe.

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #31 on: Mar 21, 2006, 21:44 »
Just back from the place. We thought we'd give it another try after some good and bad comments on here. Anyhow, the food was really nice. It took a while to be served (really my only gripe, 50 minutes is about 20 minutes past acceptable), but was worth waiting for.

Cumberland Stacker for me (Cumberland sausage with bacon, egg and mushroom) and Steak Stacker for her ladyship (Steak with bacon and cheese in a barbecue sauce).

Clawed back some of the bad vibes from our last visit, but they need to speed up the service a bit more for my liking.

You

« Reply #32 on: Mar 22, 2006, 05:31 »
Quote from: deus ex machina
50 minutes is about 20 minutes past acceptable.

It sorta quoshes the theory about ping food doesn't it.  :lol:

SAFC_FTM4EVA

« Reply #33 on: Mar 27, 2006, 13:55 »
Hi Guys,

Took my mam out for her Sunday dinner at Poachers today, its was really nice, choice of beef, pork or lamb, i went for beef, mam went for lamb, it was very nice, good variety of veg too. The place was jam packed but we got there for the doors opening so there was no waiting about for us, good job really as there were people racing for our table as soon as we started to put our coats on! Will be back for Sunday dinner defo!
I never asked when i was there but does anyone know if they only do Sunday dinner or do they do the other menus too on a Sunday?  :D

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
Re: The Poacher's Metal Bridge
« Reply #34 on: Sep 12, 2007, 07:36 »
After a layoff of 18 months, we went back to the Poachers. There were a fair few cars in the car park, and so it was quite busy. The beer was Cumberland Ale, which was OK. Sponge had a coke as she'd already been boozing in the Church Mouse. We got a seat in the annex that joins the beer garden. The outside door was open which made it a little noisy as the trains passed on the main East Coast railway line, but it wasn't excessive.

A good selection on the menu, we stuck with chicken dishes. Spongey had Chicken and Ribs in barbecue sauce, while I had 'Chicks and Dips', which consisted of 3 different pieces of chicken (cajun, with bacon and in batter) with Mayo, Sweet Chilli and Tomato dipping sauces. Sponge's chicken must have been weight training because it was huge. It was described on the menu as 'plump', but that's like describing Johnny Vegas as having a slight paunch. The cat ended up with an unexpected, bonus supper tonight. Chips were surplus to requirements really.

On the service front, much improved. It was 20 minutes from ordering to the food arriving at the table. Waitresses were courteous and efficient and well turned out. The two meals came to just under ?18. Not cheap considering we didn't have any starters or sweets, but the portion sizes were rather large, and I don't know how anyone could eat anything else anyway!

SAFC_FTM4EVA

Re: The Poacher's Metal Bridge
« Reply #35 on: Oct 20, 2007, 23:16 »
Hi guys, long time no visit!
Was down here last night with the family. tried a new dish from the winter warmers special board, Chicken Pot Pie and Farmhouse pork, amazing, so fresh and tasty you could really tell it was home cooked! Desserts, Jam Roly Poly one of my favourites was super duper! My bro tried the ginger pud with white sauce and really enjoyed! Service was pretty good although it did take a while for the table to be cleared, apart from that spot on again!
Cya x

Tags: bar meal