// **Mobile Phone users please read!***

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: **Mobile Phone users please read!***  (Read 4212 times)

Offline SouthernExPat

• Blatherskite!
**Mobile Phone users please read!***
« on: Jun 19, 2009, 23:51 »
The Directory of Mobile Phone numbers goes live next week.
All mobile phone numbers including those belonging to children will be open to cold calling.

To remove your number go here.

http://www.118800.co.uk/removeme/remove-me.html

You may want to forward this message to people who might not want theirpersonal mobile numbers readily available.

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead...Do not walk in front of me, for I may not Follow...Do not walk beside me...just f*ck off and leave me alone!

Advertise YOUR business

Happymama

Re: **Mobile Phone users please read!***
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2009, 18:43 »
Call me cynical, but this smells of a scam to me.

You input your mobile number, they send a numerical code by text and you input this number on their website, thus confirming that the mobile number really does exist. 

Think is, my number isn't on that site (I have a spare and used the spare number to try this) and nor is my usual number, so it's not a lot of good. BUt if everyone did the opt-out ...

We'll see when it goes live.  It must be my age ...

Offline RainingCrazy

• Gadgie
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2009, 11:56 »
Your questions about charges
How much does the 118 800 service cost?
When you use 118800.co.uk to get your contact details sent to the person you’re trying to get hold of, you will be charged £1. This charge is made by an SMS message from us to you and it will appear on your mobile phone bill.

When you call 118800, you will find our charges are comparable with existing directory enquiries services and include a connection charge and a low ‘per minute’ rate. Based on a BT landline, our connection charge is 69p and our per minute charge is 14p. Call charges from other landline providers and mobile phone companies may vary. The charge will appear on your phone bill.

Will the person I’m trying to contact be charged for receiving the call?
No. It’s just like receiving any other call. Normal mobile network charges will apply if they happen to be outside the UK at the time.

Will the person I’m trying to contact be charged for retrieving a voicemail or SMS message?
We make no charge for this. But standard mobile network charges will apply.

They wont get a penny from me as i wouldnt pay them just to stop cold calls there is a feature on most mobile phones free of charge  to stop this anyway. If they where going to get anything from me it would be rocks if they where lucky

Offline SouthernExPat

• Blatherskite!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2009, 12:05 »
Yeah, I agree on reflection!...they sound like a bunch of tossers!
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead...Do not walk in front of me, for I may not Follow...Do not walk beside me...just f*ck off and leave me alone!

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2009, 12:51 »
Your questions about charges
How much does the 118 800 service cost?
When you use 118800.co.uk to get your contact details sent to the person you’re trying to get hold of, you will be charged £1. This charge is made by an SMS message from us to you and it will appear on your mobile phone bill.

When you call 118800, you will find our charges are comparable with existing directory enquiries services and include a connection charge and a low ‘per minute’ rate. Based on a BT landline, our connection charge is 69p and our per minute charge is 14p. Call charges from other landline providers and mobile phone companies may vary. The charge will appear on your phone bill.

Will the person I’m trying to contact be charged for receiving the call?
No. It’s just like receiving any other call. Normal mobile network charges will apply if they happen to be outside the UK at the time.

Will the person I’m trying to contact be charged for retrieving a voicemail or SMS message?
We make no charge for this. But standard mobile network charges will apply.

They wont get a penny from me as i wouldnt pay them just to stop cold calls there is a feature on most mobile phones free of charge  to stop this anyway. If they where going to get anything from me it would be rocks if they where lucky

If I get any cold calls on my mobile, I enter them in my contacts list under the title of 'Nuisance Call'. If they ring again, that id comes up on screen and I just don't answer it. At the moment i'm being bugged by someone from BT Tradespace, but they'll get sick before I do.  :wink:

Offline iribf press

• Gadgie
« Reply #5 on: Aug 03, 2009, 22:00 »
I heard they needed to shelve this idea because so many people wanted to opt out.

Neil 118800

« Reply #6 on: Aug 06, 2009, 10:52 »
Hi, im Neil and I work for 118800.co.uk

Thanks for talking about us, however we don’t actually give out mobile numbers. 118800 is a service for connecting people that know each other’s name and address.  In the majority of cases it will be a friend or colleague who has lost your number or doesn’t have it on them and needs to get in touch.   If you are contacted it will be by 118800 calling to announce the name of that person, or sending a text message with the name and number of the person trying to get in touch. It will then be up to you whether you want to speak to them or not.

We do not have children listed in our directory and all data is checked to ensure the individuals are adults.  However a child may be in possession of a phone number that is listed in our directory if it previously belonged to an adult.  So to be sure, it’s best to make children’s numbers ex-directory.

Just to reiterate we do not sell data to anyone, so cold calling will not result from our service.  If you receive an enquiry the call will be announced by 118800 and it is likely to be a friend or colleague who has lost your number or doesn’t have it on them and needs to get in touch.   Cold calling is common on landline numbers  because landline data is freely and widely available. The mobile numbers in our directory are available to no one.  118800 connect people that know each other, we don’t give out numbers.

For more information visit the website at http://www.118800.co.uk/

Or watch the video [youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNgLWB123JA[/youtube]

Offline Lancelot

• Currack
« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2009, 11:47 »
If that's the way that it works we have nothing to fear, it seems. 

We get about 4 calls a year on our mobile phone and make about the same number.
Lancelot

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2009, 12:30 »
Hi, im Neil and I work for 118800.co.uk

Thanks for talking about us, however we don’t actually give out mobile numbers. 118800 is a service for connecting people that know each other’s name and address.  In the majority of cases it will be a friend or colleague who has lost your number or doesn’t have it on them and needs to get in touch.   If you are contacted it will be by 118800 calling to announce the name of that person, or sending a text message with the name and number of the person trying to get in touch. It will then be up to you whether you want to speak to them or not.

We do not have children listed in our directory and all data is checked to ensure the individuals are adults.  However a child may be in possession of a phone number that is listed in our directory if it previously belonged to an adult.  So to be sure, it’s best to make children’s numbers ex-directory.

Just to reiterate we do not sell data to anyone, so cold calling will not result from our service.  If you receive an enquiry the call will be announced by 118800 and it is likely to be a friend or colleague who has lost your number or doesn’t have it on them and needs to get in touch.   Cold calling is common on landline numbers  because landline data is freely and widely available. The mobile numbers in our directory are available to no one.  118800 connect people that know each other, we don’t give out numbers.

For more information visit the website at http://www.118800.co.uk/

Or watch the video

So, how does the company make money?

Offline iribf press

• Gadgie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2009, 20:27 »
How do you know if it's a child's phone? My sister bought phones for her 2 daughters. How would you know that?

Offline Durham Forum

• "Giggity giggity!"
  • Admin
  • Blatherskite!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 07, 2009, 21:44 »
How do you know if it's a child's phone? My sister bought phones for her 2 daughters. How would you know that?

Good point. There really isn't any way of knowing.

Tags: