// 2010 What do you prefer ? Traditional or modern ?

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: 2010 What do you prefer ? Traditional or modern ?  (Read 863 times)

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
I know that some talk was made new years eve about the pronunciation of the future year

I thought that everbody would be saying   Two thousand and ten

Seems,  wrong,   all the news (BBC)  and most TV programs seem to quote it as   twenty ten 

I prefer the normal  two thousand and ten

Whats going to be spoken next year  Twenty eleven ?    I think NOT !

Whats your way ? :?:

Advertise YOUR business

Offline iribf press

• Gadgie
Re: 2010 What do you prefer ? Traditional or modern ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2010, 22:00 »
I tend to say 20 10. It seems to roll off the tongue easier. Same as 20 20. But in between, it will be 2 thousand and 11, etc.

Offline anonymous

• Dozzle
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:05 »
This year and next year.

Offline Stromboli

• Dozzle
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2010, 22:46 »
It all depends on what your take of traditional and modern is.

100 years ago it was nineteen ten, not one thousand nine hundred and ten. Make a leap of 100 years future bound and it should be twenty ten to be a traditionalist.  :?:

That said the past ten years we have not been very traditionalist. We have been saying two thousand and two, two thousand and three etc.. Should we have been saying twenty zero two and twenty zero three?

So for me, after the past ten years it just seems concurrent that we should be saying two thousand and ten and in 46 years, two thousand and fifty six. Is that modern though?

I seem to remember an old teacher of mine telling me that a long, long time ago that is how we said years, we said the actually number and that it was an americanism to say nineteen eighty four. "in all truth we should be uttering the whole number of one thousand nine hundred and eighty four" he said. I may be wrong as in the year one thousand nine hundred and eighty four I was but a young fellow

So; how long do we have to do something for it to become a tradition and therefore traditional? One hundred years? or are we forgetting the previous one thousand nine hundred years?

Tags: