// Thinford roundabout nearly completed cost £8 million quid explain ?

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: Thinford roundabout nearly completed cost £8 million quid explain ?  (Read 11919 times)

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
As I write late into the night,  from a diverson to get home  the final layers of tarmac are been laid overnight on Thinford roundabout
Two years in the making and £8 million pounds spent ?

Can this be true ?     is there any improvement ?     time will tell

I can see its bigger,   but is it any better ?

Thought it was going to be a lot better layout than whats happened   
Filter lanes ?  traffic lights ?

And that Meadowfield access road ?   no left turn  no right turn  allegedly !!   surprised coppers havent got a CCTV cash cow camera on that yet  clawing some money back to pay for it with motorists penalty fines !!

Advertise YOUR business

Offline flooky

• Gadgie
I wish they would get the tarmac laid and sorted quickly, the rutted roads when they have stripped the top layer gets "interesting" on a motorcycle .............. and when they redo the road surfaces with the small grit in a thin layer of tar then leave it to vehicles to "bed in" that is highly dangerous to two wheeled vehicles, as bad as coming across diesel spills.

Has anyone seen the final plans for this, is there going to be lights on it or just a different shaped roundabout?

Offline mike

• Gadgie

Offline flooky

• Gadgie
Thanks Mike

I can see problems straight away with those plans, if there is no lights controlling it.

I can see someone coming from Metal Bridge direction wanting to turn left towards Ferryhill, not looking properly to see what is coming from Croxdale direction wanting to go straight on towards Ferryhill, and pulling out in front of them.
They appear to have made this a bit of a funny angle onto the roundabout as though they planned it as a filter lane rather then changed their minds and forgot to alter the shape of the road entering the roundabout.

I will reserve further judgement on it until it has been fully completed and see what happens.

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
I heard that the Petrol stations next to Maccy D is coming down shortly for next stage development , soon as the roundabout is done  ?

Surely a long filter lane would have been better  heading to Ferryhill

Probably move Maccy D  to remove some conjestion too

I am very suprised that there has never been any thought into making a bypass off Croxdale roundabout over the fields direct to Bowburn / Motorway ?       

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
Looks as if the planners read this forum ?  :mrgreen:

Looking like the erection of traffic lights soon

This is going to be the roundabout from Hell  -  sorry   authourised by DCC

Last week Testos roundabout lights went off and radio reports of expect slow traffic
When I got there about 5 minutes later fearing the tailbacks ...  straight round no worries best ever

Offline PR-40

• Gadgie
It sounds like absolute chaos.I remember Thinford from years ago when I lived in the north-east,thats when that road was the old A1.
You say you are waiting for the council to erect traffic lights, I hope the council are quicker at doing things than they used to be.Years ago you would wait forever for them to get an erection.Good luck.
Due to lack of interest Tomorrow has been cancelled.

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
Not even open yet and its been vandalised !!

Some idiots have been daubing white paint on the floor  writing names and drawing spear heads everywhere

Going to be chaos when those cones get moved

Whose bright idea was to put a pedestrian barrier on the islands  give that a week

Looks like Durham Gate is going to be busy  TWO dedicated lanes   WOW !

Time will tell ?

Offline Big Al

• Kidda
Maybe just some well meaning idiot trying to get it completed quicker  :wallbash:
Big Al

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
I heard the other day it was behind schedule and think penalty clause payments may be due ?

How true it is I dont know

Because if it was the case  there would be men on there finishing it off day and night ASAP

Offline CLANSMAN

• Gadgie
Coming home today

WOW    lots of activity here today

Lots of confusion as well ,   workers had set a slalom course for us drivers lane changes direction changes restricted access  coned off    bet there was some honking of horns today

Wonder if Princess Anne is going to stay to open it up ?

Offline Legend

• Dozzle
Has anyone heard anything about which commercial companies are moving onto the site? The Durham Gate website mentions up to 3,000 jobs. I wonder who will be offering these jobs?
The North East Forum

Forums for North East England and County Durham. Chat with other Mackems, Mags and Smoggies. Sport and other stuff for lads 'n' lasses.

Tags: thinford roundabout