// Does anyone have solar panels?

Advertise YOUR business

Author Topic: Does anyone have solar panels?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Legend

• Dozzle
Does anyone have solar panels?
« on: Sep 28, 2016, 20:59 »
Does anyone have solar panels on their house? I'm investigating whether to get them and would like some advice please.
The North East Forum

Forums for North East England and County Durham. Chat with other Mackems, Mags and Smoggies. Sport and other stuff for lads 'n' lasses.

Advertise YOUR business

Offline Lancelot

• Currack
Re: Does anyone have solar panels?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2016, 23:25 »
A report issued today said that in the U.K there are only about 9 days in the year when Solar Panels are worth having.   What is the experience on here?   Has anyone got back the money, in full, that they paid for them?   If you had to decide again would you fit them?
Lancelot

Offline Legend

• Dozzle
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2016, 09:22 »
I'm looking at them now from an investment and environmental point of view and have found that IKEA are promoting SolarCentury as a partner, with a fitted price of around £4k and a return of around 5% per annum. If you use your energy during the day (like we do) then it's more beneficial. Anything unused is sold back to the grid. Any income derived is also tax-free.

ikea.solarcentury.com
The North East Forum

Forums for North East England and County Durham. Chat with other Mackems, Mags and Smoggies. Sport and other stuff for lads 'n' lasses.

Offline Lancelot

• Currack
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2016, 20:37 »
I wouldn't waste my money fitting them as an invested as I wouldn't trust the figures given out by installers.  I was hoping that people who had fitted them would have shared their experience with us, or are they keeping quiet out of embarrassment?   I'd rather keep my money in the bank, and if you were not paying cash, (H.P) then I'd say they were far from a bargain.  Our Ozzie neighbours only paid about £1,800 for the same installation that costs over £4,000 here! Rip off Britain?

Also any Government can change the rules at any time, as they have in Australia, and the amount that they buy back from you can change dramatically.  Most installations only have a 5 years warranty so they could fail before you've recouped anything.  Pessimistic aren't I?  I have noticed in two roads nearby that people have removed them from the roof and left the frames. Did they fail in use? It puzzles me.
Lancelot

Offline Legend

• Dozzle
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2016, 15:12 »
Need to get a survey done first and then consider the detail. The feed in tariff is only part of the consideration, we'll get much more benefit from using what we generate rather than selling back to the grid.
The North East Forum

Offline Lancelot

• Currack
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2016, 21:46 »
How much is your current electric bill annually?  Ours is under £500 a year so if we got the entire year cost free it would take about 8 years to get our money back assuming I paid cash for the supply and installation of the panels. If they were bought on H.P it would be even longer.  And that 8 years assumes that you have enough sun/light to power the panels all of the year, and that includes the winter months, at night, when it gets dark at 4-30pm, that is most unlikely. So you could be looking at 12 to 15 years minimum, and remember the system is only warranted for 5 years so they could be scrap before they’ve paid for themselves.

I’m not trying to be obstructive, but trying to show the reality.  The survey will possibly convince you, but it does it to try and prove to you the benefits and sell you the system.  Do you get the impression that I think that they are a waste of money?  I spent 49 years working in the Electrical industry, they haven’t convinced me.

I’ve posed the question on several websites and for some reason not one person has come back and said that they were a bargain.  Does that tell you anything?  I’d rather keep the money and spend it elswhere, and if you haven't got the ready cash to spare it is an even worse buy.
Lancelot

Offline Legend

• Dozzle
« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2016, 10:08 »
Yes these are all the questions I'm mulling over. I wouldn't be buying on HP, it would be cash. The electricity bill has risen quite a bit recently due to things like tropical fish tanks and more heating. It's projected to be about £600 this year. 

It's whether the numbers add up and how it affects house EPC rating, and payback is one of the things I'm looking at. I can see through sales pitch so it'll be a cold hard decision. Reading up elsewhere, the inverters need replacing every 10 years or so, at a cost of £1,000+, and other maintenance will be needed too. I know where you're coming from.

The orientation of the roof space ensures exposure is about as good as it could possibly be in this part of the world - unobstructed and almost due south. As I've said, our usage of big electrical appliances is during the day, so we'd use what we generated rather than relying on selling back to the grid. Obviously in winter we'd only be able to generate part of our needs, but everything helps.

As you say, it's all about whether we think it's worth it, versus other possible investments. I'm not as keen as I initially was after further research. In any case, the money may be needed elsewhere anyway  :wink:
The North East Forum

Offline Lancelot

• Currack
« Reply #7 on: Nov 10, 2016, 20:32 »
I'm still amazed that no-one comes back to tell us about their experiences, good or bad.  I've only heard of inverters being given 5 years warranty though. Sounds a though you are taking a very logical approach whereas some will be taken in by the salesman/estimator/surveyor. His wage depends on a sale.  Hope you keep us posted.
Lancelot

Offline Lancelot

• Currack
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2016, 22:17 »
Still not a single reply from someone who has fitted solar panels and is happily making money fom them.
I saw this today.

Solar Panels were sold to homeowners throughout the UK on the promise that you would be able to reduce energy bills whilst receiving a monthly income from the Government for providing energy back to the electric companies.

"Many fell victim to the classic mis-sell with companies not being up-front about the costs associated to the Solar Panels, how they work or any maintenance costs involved with the upkeep of the Solar panels.

Also many were told that the companies installing the systems were government backed and were offered incentives such as cash back vouchers that would cover the payment required."
Lancelot

Offline Lancelot

• Currack
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2016, 00:26 »
Almost 4,000 members on this site and not one reply!

OK 4,000 members registered on the site and no-one posts anything about the North East for weeks.  Why be a member?
Is there nothing that anyone wants to talk about?

How about some of those 4,000 posting something?

Why do you think the North East is one of the best places to live?

There's only one other place that I'd rather live and that is Mandurah, West Australia. We went there for holidays for 23 years,
and for the last 13 years, since I retired, we went for January, February and March each year.

Come on, let's have some debates, whether it is local, national, international, political or even religious.

Or just sit, dumb and say nothing!
Lancelot

Tags: